Tuesday, September 14, 2010

First Week of Classes

Ok so my mom has told me I don't write enough about what's going on here. So I am attempting to make my posts a little longer. For those of you who don't care.... there will still be pictures. This post will probably be a tad bit longer than what I plan on posting from now on, mostly because I haven't posted in a while.
Last Tuesday classes began with a somewhat bumpy start. But we are reminded that God is in control. We had to fly out a teacher from England to teach Philippians class because of some unexpected events. We are kinda powering through the book with some; four to six hour classes a day, and also classes on the weekends, in order to get classes done in eight days altogether. As crazy as it seems it has still been a blessing.
Monday before classes began we decided to get in as much summer fun as we could. We started off with a little cliff jumping and snorkeling.




Took a break and got some ice cream for only a euro a scoop then moved on to the more popular beach where all the tourists were. We swam out to a floating platform and dove in the water and hang out for a while. This is my least favorite beach because 1. There is so many people everywhere and for 2. Half of those people are topless.  I guess it is just a cultural thing, but it is still hard to get use to.
Anyways we moved on from there to a more rocky beach near the guys flats. 
This was a little more interesting. It still had a lot of people there but it was a lot of fun!

                                    The beach by the guys flats

So after an exciting day like this, we were well prepared for a long week of classes.
During the week we still fit in some things such as shopping at a festival nearby and seeing the fireworks. Things might seem a little dull after the summer season is over and all the tourist go home, ok well maybe not. I am still in Spain.

                                    The Festival






On Saturday we were able to take a break from classes and school altogether and took a day trip to some old Spanish villages called Soller and Valdemossa.  This was a lot of fun! It was about an hour drive from our school. It was such a beautiful place! It was exactly how I always pictured Spain being. 




We went into a pub for lunch and Raf ordered for us. He ordered us Pamb oli which is basically a stale piece of bread with tomatoes, melted cheese and ham on top and olives on the side. It is very Spanish and may sound gross but I actually enjoyed it, once I picked the tomatoes off of course.


 We walked around a little bit and got some ice cream, we get a lot of ice cream here! We then drove to another little town, by the way the drive was amazing, and made a little pit stop and took some pictures by this look out spot that overlooked the ocean.  



We finally made it to Valdemossa and I walked around with a couple other girls. We looked in some shops, got some coffee and made our way home.


The second week of classes started again today, Philippians ends on Thursday. After that I think it will be a little less intense. But as for now I am enjoying it and just trying to take it all in.
I could go on and on but if you would like to know more about our time here, you can message me.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you girl you sounds like you are having so much fun....God is really blessing you in so many ways....Ill still be praying for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime,
    I am so glad you posted! I have been following on facebook and am so thankful for skype!!!! I still want to see some photos of your flat, though. Please, please no more cliff jumping!!!

    We all really miss you!!! Three more months 'til we get to see you:(. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete